What is wheezing?

Wheezing is a whistling sound produced when you have trouble breathing because your airways are swollen and narrowed. Wheezing can have many possible causes including:
  • asthma
  • allergies, especially to insect stings
  • weakness in the cartilage near the vocal cords in infants (which usually resolves on its own as the infant matures)
  • inhaling a foreign object (requires immediate emergency medical attention)
  • cystic fibrosis
  • chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • heart failure
  • pneumonia
  • smoking
  • viral infections (especially in very young children)
  • gastroesphageal reflux disease (GERD)
  • allergy to medication
Call your doctor if you experience wheezing for the first time, if wheezing is part of an allergic reaction, if wheezing keeps recurring, or if you are experiencing difficulty breathing, mental confusion or bluish skin.

Continue Learning about Breathing Disorders Signs & Symptoms

How can I tell if my baby is having trouble breathing?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
While most of the time nasal congestion is responsible for making a baby’s breathing noisy, it is im...
How do I know if my child is having trouble breathing?
“Breathing problems” are a common cause of unnecessary trips to the emergency department at three a....
Should I talk to my doctor about breathing disorder symptoms?
Because the consequences of breathing disorders can be deadly, it is important that you talk to your...
Try This DIY Test to Measure Your Lung Health