What is a bronchospasm of the airways?

A bronchospasm of the airways is a temporary narrowing of the bronchi, (the two tubes that carry air into the lungs from the trachea), caused by contraction and constriction of the muscles in the lining of the bronchi. A bronchospasm can cause symptoms including wheezing (a whistling sound when breathing), cough, and most significantly difficulty breathing. Causes of bronchospasms may include:
  • asthma
  • exercise
  • allergies
  • infections
  • inhaling chemical irritants (such as pollution, paint fumes, strong odors)
  • smoking
  • weather changes (especially cold air)
  • stress
If you experience bronchospasms and you notice increased difficulty breathing, chest pain or your symptoms worsen, see your doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Breathing Disorders Signs & Symptoms

How can I tell if my baby is having trouble breathing?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
While most of the time nasal congestion is responsible for making a baby’s breathing noisy, it is im...
How do I know if my child is having trouble breathing?
“Breathing problems” are a common cause of unnecessary trips to the emergency department at three a....
What are the symptoms of a breathing problem?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following are the signs and symptoms of a breathing problem: pale and/or blue face, lips or n...
Try This DIY Test to Measure Your Lung Health