What are the symptoms of breathing disorders?

Different breathing disorders are marked by different kinds of symptoms. In some cases, the symptoms are not severe. In other cases severe symptoms like shortness of breath, taking too many breaths in a short period of time, bluish mouth and fingernails, grunting sounds when exhaling, sweating, wheezing, and retraction of the chest when breathing in. People describe some breathing disorders by saying they feel like they are breathing through a straw or wearing a sweater that is too tight.

Continue Learning about Breathing Disorders Signs & Symptoms

What is a bronchospasm of the airways?
A bronchospasm of the airways is a temporary narrowing of the bronchi, (the two tubes that carry air...
What is wheezing?
Wheezing is a whistling sound produced when you have trouble breathing because your airways are swol...
How can I tell if my baby is having trouble breathing?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
While most of the time nasal congestion is responsible for making a baby’s breathing noisy, it is im...
Try This DIY Test to Measure Your Lung Health