Will medicines I take affect my baby if I'm breastfeeding?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Medications that you take when you're nursing may affect your baby, so nursing is another important time to consult your healthcare provider before starting any new treatment. Whether or not your medication will affect the baby depends on a variety of factors:
  • How much medication makes it into your bloodstream
  • How much medication gets into the breast milk
  • How frequently the baby is nursing
  • How old your breastfeeding baby is
  • How much medication gets into the baby's bloodstream
  • What effect each medication might have on the baby
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Ask Dr. Darria: Breastfeeding Has Become Painful. What Can I Do?
I want to breastfeed my baby, but my nipples have become sore and I’m starting to dread nursing her. I thought this was supposed to be a positive, bon...
Can I breastfeed if I smoke?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Smoking is bad for you—and for your baby. It affects mother’s milk, can reduce your supply of milk a...
Is it normal for women to feel sexually aroused while nursing?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Many people are aware that when women are breastfeeding, they experience contraction of their uterus...
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health