Will breastfeeding help me lose weight?

There have been multiple studies on this subject, and there is not one definitive answer to this question. Some research has shown weight loss, some has shown there is no difference, and others actually show there can be weight gain. The newest research reveals there may be a small connection between breastfeeding and weight loss, but you should not expect to lose weight.
Kate Myerson
Breastfeeding burns about 400 calories daily which is nearly 1 pound a week and does help people lose weight. It is important to know if you are losing weight too rapidly, more than 1.5 pounds a week, because your energy level and milk supply may decrease. 
Women who breastfeed burn 200 to 300 calories of stored fat each day to provide the energy needed for nursing during the first three months. You can expect to lose weight gradually while breastfeeding if you maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet. Do not start a reduced-calorie diet while breastfeeding, which can impact your ability to produce milk and deprive you of energy. A breastfeeding mother needs at least 1,800 calories and 1,200 mg of calcium a day.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding, the Next Olympic Sport
Breastfeeding, the Next Olympic Sport
This week’s cover of Time shows a young mother breastfeeding her son—a boy, nearly 4 years old, who is standing on a chair to reach his mother’s breas...
How can I avoid bruised or cracked nipples while breastfeeding?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A breastfeeding mother never should experience blisters, bruising, or cracks on her nipples. Thi...
How much breast milk should I produce?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The goal is to produce 24 ounces of milk each day when your baby is two weeks old. When your baby ...
I Heard That Babies May Be Getting Toxic Chemicals from Breast Milk. Is That True?