Why should I breastfeed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Breastfeeding is normal and healthy for infants and moms. Breast milk has disease-fighting cells called antibodies that help protect infants from germs, illness and even sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Breastfeeding is linked to a lower risk of various health problems for babies, including:
  • Ear infections
  • Stomach viruses
  • Respiratory infections
  • Atopic dermatis
  • Asthma
  • Obesity
  • Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
  • Childhood leukemia
  • Necrotizing enterocolitis, a gastrointestinal disease in preterm infants
In moms, breastfeeding is linked to a lower risk of type 2 diabetes, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and postpartum depression. Infant formula cannot match the exact chemical makeup of human milk, especially the cells, hormones, and antibodies that fight disease. For most babies, breast milk is easier to digest than formula.

This answer is based on source information from The Federal Government Source for Women's Health Information.
Jessica Crandall

Breast milk provides complete nutrition for baby with helpful antibodies to fight disease and increased DHA than formula. Breastfeeding is beneficial for mom too by reducing risk of diabetes, ovarian and breast cancer, and post-partum depression. Breastfeeding does not require formula, which is expensive and does not have the increased DHA fatty acid that breast milk has. DHA is important for brain and neurological development. Incorporating foods high in DHA is important to increase amount present in breast milk such as fish, seafood, and eggs.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding Provides Ideal Nutrition for Babies
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?
I Heard That Babies May Be Getting Toxic Chemicals from Breast Milk. Is That True?
What Should I Eat While Breastfeeding?
What Should I Eat While Breastfeeding?