Why is breast milk helpful for preterm babies?

Mother’s milk is best for nearly all babies. For preterm babies and those with certain health problems, it can be especially helpful. In one study with babies in a hospital neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), feeding mother’s milk was shown to:
  • dramatically lower the risk of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC), a dangerous intestinal condition often seen in babies in the NICU
  • help babies wean off IV nutrition (nutrition given through a vein) more quickly
  • lower the number of hospital-acquired infections by half
  • improve vision
  • improve neurocognitive (brain) test performance

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Amazing Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
Amazing Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
More new moms than ever are nursing their newborns, according to the latest Breastfeeding Report Card from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Pr...
Can I take allergy medications during pregnancy and breast-feeding?
Whether you can take allergy medications during pregnancy and breast-feeding is between you and your...
Can I take medication for diabetes if I'm breastfeeding?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes and use either insulin or oral blood glucose lowering-medicati...
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health