What should I watch for when positioning my baby to breastfeed?

No matter how you’re holding your baby, watch for these two breastfeeding basics:
  1. Your baby’s mouth should be at the same level as your nipple. He shouldn’t have his chin on his chest or need to lift up his chin to grasp the nipple.
  2. Your baby’s chin should be in a straight line with his belly, not turned to the side. Make sure his belly is directly facing you and that his knees are touching you.
These basics make feeding easier for your baby. Check it for yourself: Take a sip of water with your chin on your chest or with your head turned to the side. It’s not easy to swallow, is it? Keeping your baby’s head straight helps him swallow easily and also helps make sure he gets enough of the nipple and breast into his mouth.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Your Health Affects Your Breast Milk, and Your Baby
There’s one Oregon woman on YouTube who has a condition called hyperlactation and produces 1.75 gallons of milk daily. Over the last few years, she ha...
Will I suffer bone loss during breastfeeding?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Although bone density can be lost during breastfeeding, this loss tends to be temporary. Several stu...
When should I breastfeed my newborn?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some tips on timing your breastfeeding sessions:Breastfeed whenever your baby wakes up -- b...
I Heard That Babies May Be Getting Toxic Chemicals from Breast Milk. Is That True?