What pain medication can I take while breastfeeding?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are the preferred pain medication or analgesics when breastfeeding. Ibuprofen is generally more effective as a headache remedy than is acetaminophen. Very little ibuprofen is transferred from the breast milk to the baby. Naproxen is also recommended as safe during breastfeeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics, although naproxen is excreted in small amounts into the breast milk.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding and the Workplace
Breastfeeding and the Workplace
“Pumping Up with Hans and Franz” was a much-loved sketch with Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon that debuted on Saturday Night Live in 1987. The duo often ...
How can I ease the soreness from using a breast pump?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Some women experience sore nipples from pumping, which will ease over time. To help: Massage you...
How do I hand express breast milk?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Even if you plan to use a pump to express milk, you should still know how to hand express. Hand ex...
Breastfeeding Provides Ideal Nutrition for Babies