What nausea treatments can I take if I'm breastfeeding?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Information on the safe use of nausea treatments when nursing is limited. The American Academy of Pediatrics has determined that ondansetron is probably safe when nursing. Limited information is available for metoclopramide and prochlorperazine (Compazine). Promethazine should not be used in children under 2 years old, so caution with nursing may also be needed.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding, the Next Olympic Sport
Breastfeeding, the Next Olympic Sport
This week’s cover of Time shows a young mother breastfeeding her son—a boy, nearly 4 years old, who is standing on a chair to reach his mother’s breas...
How does breastfeeding affect a woman’s vaginal lubrication?
Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MDHilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
Because levels of the hormone estrogen drop during breastfeeding, you may no­tice that your vagina i...
What are signs my baby is getting too much medication through breast milk?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you are breastfeeding while taking medication and your baby shows any of the symptoms below, ch...
I Heard That Babies May Be Getting Toxic Chemicals from Breast Milk. Is That True?