What is a nipple shield?

A nipple shield is a nipple made of thin, clear silicone. It is worn over a woman’s nipple and areola during breastfeeding and should only be used when specifically recommended by a lactation consultant or other healthcare provider. The goal is to help a baby latch onto the breast correctly.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

3 Simple Strategies to Make Breastfeeding Easier
Breastfeeding is a highly intimate experience between a mother and child. It delivers vital nutrients to your baby and shouldn’t be viewed as embarras...
Where can I get help with breastfeeding?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
The American Academy of Pediatrics parenting book New Mother’s Guide to Breastfeeding is an easy, en...
How many calories do I need daily if I am breastfeeding?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
You need at least 1,800 calories each day to produce an adequate supply of milk and meet your ow...
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health