What should I do if I have problems breastfeeding?

Although most breastfeeding-related problems can be corrected with changing how you're actually doing it, a small number of women experience primary lactation failure (PLF), a condition when the mother’s body fails to produce enough milk to supply her infant’s nutritional needs.

PLF can be due to various factors, notably previous thoracic or breast surgery severing vital nerves or ducts, hormonal imbalances and insufficient glandular tissue (IGT), which can also be referred to as hypoplasia or tubular breast syndrome. Many options exist for proper infant nutrition outside of breast milk, including many different types of formula. Your pediatrician can best guide you on which type of formula will work best for your infant, and can help you adjust if you experience issues transitioning.

Although breastfeeding is 100% natural, it isn't always easy. A Certified Lactation Counselor can help get to get your breastfeeding on track. Just remember to always talk to your doctor about any problems that come up. Breast engorgement, hardening, fever and taking antibiotics are not reasons to stop. You can resolve such issues and keep nursing until you—and your child—determine it's time to stop.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding and the Workplace
Breastfeeding and the Workplace
“Pumping Up with Hans and Franz” was a much-loved sketch with Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon that debuted on Saturday Night Live in 1987. The duo often ...
If I am breastfeeding, how should I handle my return to work?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When a breastfeeding mother starts back to work, some babies have a normal period of adjustment th...
How should I store breast milk?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Here are some tips on safely storing breast milk:Choose a container for breast milk:Use sealable con...
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health