How do I use a nipple shield?

To use a nipple shield, follow these steps:
  • Moisten the rim of the nipple shield with a few drops of water or milk. This helps the shield stay put on your breast.
  • Turn the nipple shield almost all the way inside out, so that the rim of the shield looks like the brim of a hat.
  • Center the tip of the shield over your nipple, then slowly roll the edges down over the areola.
  • When your baby’s mouth is wide open, pull his bottom into your side and bring him toward your breast with his upper lip aiming for the nipple and his bottom lip aimed as far away from the base of the nipple as possible. (Your nipple should be pointing toward the roof of his mouth as you bring him to your breast.)
  • If your baby won’t take or keep the shield in his mouth, pump for several minutes first, then rub some of your milk on the outside of the shield.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding, the Next Olympic Sport
Breastfeeding, the Next Olympic Sport
This week’s cover of Time shows a young mother breastfeeding her son—a boy, nearly 4 years old, who is standing on a chair to reach his mother’s breas...
What should I watch for when positioning my baby to breastfeed?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
No matter how you’re holding your baby, watch for these two breastfeeding basics: Your baby’s mout...
What changes in my body might I notice after I start breastfeeding?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
As your milk supply increases within two to five days after birth, you should notice a sense of ...
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health