A Answers (1)
Good habits help make good breast milk. Adopt these habits:
- Sit down and eat at least three balanced meals and two healthy protein snacks every day.
- Every day, drink six to eight full glasses of water or juice. Limit the caffeine.
- Take a daily multivitamin with iron.
- Fatigue can hurt your milk production, so go to bed early, and take naps during the day. Unplug the phone!
- Ask for help with daily tasks. At least until your milk supply is adequate, stop working so hard.
- Set aside a weekend for a mini-vacation. Do nothing but eat and relax (and nurse and pump). Focus on increasing your milk supply.
- Relax! Stress won’t help your body make milk. Take a warm bath or shower. Ask for a back rub while you’re pumping. Escape a little. Watch a video or read a book. Get a massage, manicure or pedicure. Put on some soothing music, close your eyes and think positive thoughts. Think of everything you’re giving your baby by breastfeeding, and be kind to yourself.
Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.