If I have small breasts or very large breasts, can I still breastfeed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Of course! Breast size is not related to the ability to produce milk for a baby. Breast size is due to the amount of fatty tissue in the breast and the milk storage capacity of your breast. Small breasts make plenty of milk; they just do not store a lot of milk. Therefore babies will breastfeed often from a mother with smaller breasts. Large breasts make plenty of milk, too. Women with large breasts can have special problems with positioning and latch. They may need help from a professional to find comfortable ways to breastfeed and ways to improve the baby's latch.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information.

Breast size does not correlate with milk production.  Some of the most successful breastfeeding mothers that I have worked with are ones with tiny breasts.  Large breasts do not mean a large milk supply.  Sometimes small babies will have a harder time latching on to large breasts.  In this case, it is important that the nursing mother pull some of her breast tissue back so that the baby is able to latch onto the nipple.  Once the baby is experienced in latching, this will not be a problem.  This means that breast size, either large or small,  should not lead any woman to exclude breastfeeding
Breast size does not matter when considering breastfeeding. Breasts from very small to very large are all capable of producing adequate milk for your child. While breast size and shape may affect positioning and the best way to get a good latch, breast size alone is not a determining factor for breastfeeding success. All mothers who wish to should attempt to breastfeed.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Amazing Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
Amazing Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
More new moms than ever are nursing their newborns, according to the latest Breastfeeding Report Card from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Pr...
How can I increase my milk supply when breastfeeding?
Jeanne LongbottomJeanne Longbottom
The best way to care for your baby is to care for your baby’s mother. Rest with your baby. Eat nutri...
8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed
8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed
Nursing isn’t quite as simple as you might think. Most moms-to-be are told this familiar mantra during their pregnancy—breast is best. The American A...
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?