Can I have caffeine while breastfeeding?

The short answer is yes. However, a small amount of the caffeine will enter the breast milk, which can cause the newborn to become agitated,  jittery and have trouble falling asleep. A small cup of coffee in the morning should not be a problem, but it depends on your baby. Even a small amount can cause the above-mentioned symptoms.

While you don’t have to quit caffeine cold turkey, it’s worth pointing out that while caffeine may perk you up, it also may cause fussiness and wakefulness in some babies. It is therefore best to limit your overall intake of caffeine, whether your preference is coffee, tea, caffeinated soda, or even chocolate. Although some experts say that up to 3 cups a day may be fine, it’s probably best to stick with the minimum you need.

Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Caffeine is passed to babies through breast milk, so you should limit the amount of caffeine you ingest to one or two eight-ounce servings daily. The caffeine in your breast milk will reach its highest level one hour after you drink it, so try to time your baby’s feedings before you drink a caffeinated beverage.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding: Benefits for Both Baby and Mom
News reports pop up frequently about cultural expectations coming into conflict with moms and nursing infants: For example, a Virginia woman who was d...
Can I breastfeed if I am a vegetarian?
Nilima DesaiNilima Desai
Yes, absolutely! Breastfeeding is considered the Gold standard of nourishment for your baby. Make su...
How can I increase my milk supply when breastfeeding?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
To increase milk supply... • stay hydrated (keep a water bottle within reach while nursing) • ea...
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?