Is breastfeeding over two years old okay for the child?

This is a polarizing issue that tends to bring out strong opinions. I strongly support the uniqueness of each individual family to best decide the individual needs of each of their unique babies. And to that end, I say that if it works for a family to have mom breastfeed for over two years, I’m not going to criticize that. However, I have met many families who suffer negative consequences of decisions like this, but stick with them in the false belief that it’s what’s best for their children.

I can’t say that extended breastfeeding will hurt the development of the child, without knowing all the other factors in the family. It remains the responsibility of the family to determine what’s best for them -- and for their child.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Ask Dr. Darria: Breastfeeding Has Become Painful. What Can I Do?
I want to breastfeed my baby, but my nipples have become sore and I’m starting to dread nursing her. I thought this was supposed to be a positive, bon...
Is it safe for a vegan to breastfeed?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Yes, being a vegan does not limit you from breastfeeding.  However, it is important to ensure that y...
What are reasons for low milk supply if I'm breastfeeding?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
There are several possible reasons for a low milk supply. The most common is lack of demand (not nur...
I Heard That Babies May Be Getting Toxic Chemicals from Breast Milk. Is That True?