Do I need breast implants if I undergo surgery to reduce their size?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Whenever a breast reduction surgery is performed, normally implants are NOT placed concurrently. In the past, however, when patients have undergone prophylactic subcutaneous mastectomies, that is removing the majority of the breast in order to reduce the incidence of breast cancer due to family history, silicone implants could be placed at the same setting in order to rebuild a normal breast shape. However, at this time, when breast reduction surgeries are performed, we normally do not place a saline or silicone implant at the same time.

Continue Learning about Breast Reduction

How is breast reduction different from a breast lift?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The way I perform a breast reduction procedure is similar to the way I perform a breast lift. The in...
What is scarless breast reduction?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Though the words "scarless breast reduction" are really very simple, there is no such thing. It ...
Will I Be Able to Breast Feed After Breast Reduction Surgery?
What Should I Know If I'm Considering Breast-Reduction Surgery?