What is a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap procedure?

A transverse rectus abdominus (TRAM) flap procedure for cancer uses your own tissue to create a breast. In this video, Cathy Cole, a nurse navigator with Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center, discusses the pros and cons of this procedure. 
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

The TRAM flap, also known as the transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap is very useful for breast reconstruction after a mastectomy procedure. This has been a very well used pedicled flap choice on women that have ample tissue below the umbilicus (as in a tummy tuck procedure). Both unilateral and bilateral pedicled TRAM flaps may be performed. The tissue is mobilized along the lower abdomen and is rotated upward under a tunnel into the chest region relying on blood supply from perforators of the inferior epigastric artery. The flap contains skin and subcutaneous tissue and once in place, can be reshaped to match the opposite breast. 

Continue Learning about Breast Reconstruction Surgery

Can tissue from my belly be used for breast reconstruction?
Kay M. Shawchuck, MDKay M. Shawchuck, MD
Plastic surgeons are now using what's called deep flap, or abdominal fat, for breast reconstruction,...
How do I care for my incisions after reconstructive breast surgery?
Dr. Brian A. Pryor, DODr. Brian A. Pryor, DO
Each incision is different, but in general, for at least three weeks, you don't really need to do an...
What Is Autologous Tissue Reconstruction?
What Is Oncoplastic Surgery?
What Is Oncoplastic Surgery?