What are the advantages to free flap breast reconstruction?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

There are several advantages to free flap breast reconstruction. First, using only autologous tissue will create a most natural breast. The complications associated with a prosthetic device are avoided, especially capsular contracture (painful scar tissue around the implant) and rupture or deflation of the implant. Excellent tissue match can be created and reshaping of the breast mound can be performed after the original microvascular surgery has properly healed. Sensate flaps of tissue may also be brought into the defect with neuronal anastomosis. 

There are several advantages to free flap breast reconstruction:
  • The breast is made from real tissue from the patient.
  • The flap cannot deflate like an implant.
  • The flap reconstruction does not have to be replaced over time like an implant.
  • The risk of implant complication such as infection and capsular contracture is eliminated.
  • The bottom half of the abdomen is less bloated because of the removal of the tissue and fat for the new breast.
  • The strength of the abdominal muscles is maintained, preventing back problems and other complications.

Continue Learning about Breast Reconstruction Surgery

What are possible complications of breast reconstruction surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The 2 most common complications of any surgery are Bleeding and Infection. This is also true for bre...
Will insurance cover any part of my breast reconstruction procedure?
Insurance should cover both the mastectomy and the reconstruction of your breast for cancer. First, ...
Will Insurance Cover Any Part of My Breast Reconstruction Procedure?
What Is Oncoplastic Surgery?
What Is Oncoplastic Surgery?