How many operations are required for breast reconstruction?

The number of operations required for breast reconstruction depends on the type of procedure.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

The number of operations that are required for breast reconstruction is variable. Many factors are involved including stage of tumor, nodal involvement, necessity for radiation therapy to the chest wall, desire of the patient, and blood supply to the remaining breast tissue. When reconstruction with tissue expander and later implant, several months of tissue expansion is required with later second surgery placement of permanent of silicone implant. A third stage may be required for nipple-areolar reconstruction. Autologous tissue transfer may require multiple stages to reshape and debulk the breast mound.

Because the consequences of cancer are as unique as the woman fighting the disease, the results of breast reconstruction can be unpredictable. Stay positive, but know that several surgeries may be necessary. Complete breast reconstruction often involves several stages of surgery, from the mastectomy until creation of the nipple-areola complex.

Continue Learning about Breast Reconstruction Surgery

How should I decide what kind of breast reconstruction surgery to have?
After a mastectomy, some women may choose to wear a prosthesis (an artificial breast form). Others m...
Why are expanders used for breast reconstruction?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Implant-type devices for breast reconstruction commonly involve an expander implant reconstruction. ...
What Are the Steps In a Staged Breast Reconstruction?
Will Insurance Cover Any Part of My Breast Reconstruction Procedure?