How has breast cancer reconstructive surgery changed?

Breast cancer reconstructive surgery was first described in the Edwin Smith Surgical Papyrus, which dates back to 3000 B.C. Thankfully, things have changed dramatically since then. Breast cancer reconstructive surgery has gone from removing the entire breast, chest wall muscle and all the lymph nodes under the arm to saving the breast by removing only the tumor and only needing to remove one to three lymph nodes under the arm in most cases. Over the years, research has shown that such radical surgeries are not needed to achieve the same survival when combined with other treatment such as radiation. Additionally, newer techniques have allowed improved cosmetic outcomes with breast conservation, and in some cases saving the skin and/or nipple with mastectomy.

I think breast cancer reconstructive surgery has gone through a lot of different changes over the years. Initially reconstruction wasn’t the focus—historically the focus was treating the cancer itself. As we've gotten better and better at treating the cancer, we've really started addressing the whole person and recreating the breast as a whole. Today, I would say most patients choose some type of breast reconstruction. As technology has advanced, we can create a better aesthetic breast mound, and as implants have changed and gotten better and better, we have better tools to shape and restore the breast shape to what it was before, and sometimes even better aesthetic outcomes than before surgery.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Breast Reconstruction Surgery

Is breast reconstruction surgery covered by insurance?
Heather L. Karu, MDHeather L. Karu, MD
If breast reconstruction surgery is needed to restore symmetry after a partial or full mastectomy, c...
What should I think about if I have breast reconstruction surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
After undergoing a mastectomy for breast cancer, many women decide to undergo reconstruction either ...
How Are Nipples Recreated As Part of Breast Reconstruction Surgery?
What Is Oncoplastic Surgery?
What Is Oncoplastic Surgery?