How has breast cancer reconstructive surgery changed?

I think breast cancer reconstructive surgery has gone through a lot of different changes over the years. Initially reconstruction wasn’t the focus—historically the focus was treating the cancer itself. As we've gotten better and better at treating the cancer, we've really started addressing the whole person and recreating the breast as a whole. Today, I would say most patients choose some type of breast reconstruction. As technology has advanced, we can create a better aesthetic breast mound, and as implants have changed and gotten better and better, we have better tools to shape and restore the breast shape to what it was before, and sometimes even better aesthetic outcomes than before surgery.

Breast cancer reconstructive surgery was first described in the Edwin Smith Surgical Papyrus, which dates back to 3000 B.C. Thankfully, things have changed dramatically since then. Breast cancer reconstructive surgery has gone from removing the entire breast, chest wall muscle and all the lymph nodes under the arm to saving the breast by removing only the tumor and only needing to remove one to three lymph nodes under the arm in most cases. Over the years, research has shown that such radical surgeries are not needed to achieve the same survival when combined with other treatment such as radiation. Additionally, newer techniques have allowed improved cosmetic outcomes with breast conservation, and in some cases saving the skin and/or nipple with mastectomy.

Continue Learning about Breast Reconstruction Surgery

What should I think about if I have breast reconstruction surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
After undergoing a mastectomy for breast cancer, many women decide to undergo reconstruction either ...
What is a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap procedure?
Cathy Cole, NPCathy Cole, NP
A transverse rectus abdominus (TRAM) flap procedure for cancer uses your own tissue to create a brea...
What Reconstruction Techniques Are Available After Breast Cancer Surgery?
How Are Implants Used in Breast Reconstruction?