What is the difference between a breast lift and a breast reduction?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The major difference between a breast lift and breast reduction depends on the amount of tissue removed. In a breast lift, only skin is removed and the breast is uplifted. During a reduction, tissue is removed from the inner, outer and upper central breast to reduce the actual size of the breasts. A breast lift is general a cosmetic procedure, while a reduction is functional and cosmetic to alleviate symptoms of breast hypertrophy or gigantomastia. 

Continue Learning about Breast Lift

What is the recovery time after a breast lift?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The recovery time after a full breast lift is approximately 6 weeks. Our patients normally return to...
Why do I need a breast lift along with implants if I have saggy skin?
If you have excess skin, and just have a breast augmentation without the breast lift; it will lead t...
What is a full breast lift?
A full breast lift or formal mastopexy usually addresses the most severe form of ptosis, grade III, ...
What is a periareolar breast lift?
A type of breast lift that is available is the periareolar or crescent lift, where a small amount of...