How is a breast lift performed?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Breast lifting is similar to breast reduction, except that no breast tissue is removed. The incisions are similar to those in breast reductions. If there is just a little drooping, a "donut mastopexy" can be performed. Skin around the areola is removed, hiking up the breast. Because two circles of tissue of unequal circumference need to be sewn together, any seamstress knows that the result will be bunching of the tissue. Fortunately, this bunching usually settles in a few months.

When more extensive drooping occurs, the next level of lifting requires a vertical incision between the areola and the crease below the breast. This is a hot topic: many plastic surgeons believe that most patients require a full lift. An incision is made along the length of the crease, together with vertical incisions and incisions around the areola. The search for different, better scars seems never-ending. Horizontal, vertical, around the areola -- all incisions have been proposed. My suggestion is to choose the surgeon, not the technique.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Breast Lift

Can a breast lift be performed with an implant?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
A breast implant may certainly be performed concurrently with a breast lift. In fact, each week I pl...
How long does a complete breast lift take to heal?
A formal mastopexy or complete breast lift take at least 6 weeks for the normal healing process. The...
Who is a candidate for a breast lift?
Candidates for breast lifts usually include women who have a severe amount of sagginess to their bre...
Why do I need a breast lift along with implants if I have saggy skin?
If you have excess skin, and just have a breast augmentation without the breast lift; it will lead t...