Which celebrities have had breast cancer?

Many famous celebrities have fought (and sometimes lost) public battles with breast cancer, including:
  • Olivia Newton John: diagnosed in 1992 at age 43. The singer and actress is currently a 19-year breast cancer survivor. “When you’re dealing with cancer, your mind is just as important a part of your healing as your body,” she says. Since 2008 she has been raising funds to construct the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia. The center is designed to provide cutting-edge cancer treatments available nowhere else in Australia.
  • Christina Applegate: diagnosed in 2008 at age 36. Because her mother survived breast cancer in her 30s, the actress made sure to get regular mammograms. Her doctor recommended that she get an MRI, which caught a cancer that the mammograms had missed. After genetic testing, she discovered that she carried the BRCA 1 gene -- a mutation that increases one’s risk of breast and ovarian cancer. After a double mastectomy, she is healthy and advocates for breast cancer testing. She founded Right Action for Women: The Christina Applegate Foundation, which educates women about what it means to be at "high risk" for breast cancer and encourages them to talk to their doctors about appropriate screening.
  • Sheryl Crow: diagnosed in 2006 at age 44. Crow's cancer was detected early via a routine mammogram. After a lumpectomy and radiation therapy, she has become the ultimate advocate for breast cancer prevention and routine mammograms.
  • Minnie Riperton: diagnosed in 1976 at age 28. Known for her phenomenal vocal range and her 1975 hit single “Lovin’ You,” Riperton was diagnosed in 1976 with breast cancer and lost a breast through a mastectomy. She became a spokeswoman for the American Cancer Society’s 1978-79 campaign and received the American Cancer Society’s Courage Award. She lost her battle to breast cancer on July 12, 1979, at the age of 31, leaving behind her husband, songwriter Richard Rudolph, and daughter, actress Maya Rudolph.
  • Bette Davis: diagnosed in 1983 at age 75. Davis was a legendary actress with more than 100 film, television, and theater roles to her credit. After her diagnosis and subsequent mastectomy, she eventually continued acting before her death in 1989 at age 81.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

How Should Women Seek Support After a Breast Cancer Diagnosis?
When going through diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer it's important to have help—and to ask for help when you need it. Watch Radiation Oncolog...
Is There a Test That Can Identify Which Patients Will Relapse from Breast Cancer?
Can Carrying My Cell Phone in My Bra Put Me at Risk for Breast Cancer?
How Often Should I Do a Breast Self-Exam?