When should I start screening if I have a family history of breast cancer?

Scott Weissman
Clinical Genetics
There are two answers to the question. Generally, it is recommended women start screening 10 years before the earliest age of onset in the family. However, if there is a genetic cause to the breast cancer in your family, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (which is an organization that makes medical management recommendations for many cancers) recommend breast cancer screening start at age 25. You should consider discussing this with your physicians.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

Exercise, Nutrition and Metastatic Breast Cancer
Nutrition and exercise are often discussed in terms of reducing risk of cancer and helping people with some early-stage cancers cope with symptoms and...
How can families deal with breast cancer?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
No one battles breast cancer alone, and resources are important for a patient’s family, as well. An ...
4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy
4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy
Simple things like regular exercise can protect your breasts.
Do Doctors Get Enough Time with Their Patients?