What tests should I have before breast cancer surgery?

Before breast cancer surgery, tests that most people should have include a needle biopsy, and some women may need genetic testing and/or a breast MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). Most people should meet with a comprehensive team including a surgeon, medical oncologist, radiation oncologist and plastic surgeon.

Tests you may have before breast cancer surgery include an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to assist in planning your surgery, to look for cancer in other areas of the breast or lymph nodes, and to evaluate the other breast more thoroughly. Genetic testing may be recommended depending on your family or personal health history. Often times no additional testing is needed before breast cancer surgery.

Your surgeon may order blood tests, an electrocardiogram and/or a chest x-ray in the days or weeks prior to your surgery. In addition, your doctor or nurse practitioner/physicians assistant will perform a physical examination to check your baseline health.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

The Connection Between Hair Dye and Breast Cancer
Did you know Kristen Stewart, star of the Twilight series, famous for her raven locks, actually has strawberry blonde hair? Scarlett Johansson, who we...
What should I know about infiltrating ductal carcinoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Infiltrating ductal carcinoma is the most common form of breast cancer. It compromises 65-85% of all...
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
These gentle workouts can help breast cancer survivors combat some of the effects of treatment, including pain, fatigue, stress and weight gain.
Can Carrying My Cell Phone in My Bra Put Me at Risk for Breast Cancer?