What should I know about infiltrating ductal carcinoma?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Infiltrating ductal carcinoma is the most common form of breast cancer. It compromises 65-85% of all breast cancer cases. On physical exam, the mass or lump is harder than surrounding tissue and on mammogram it is visualized as a mass with spiculations. It can also be diagnosed with high resolution ultrasound, FNA, core biopsy, and excisional open biopsy. The prognosis depends on tumor size, stage, surgical margins, tumor grade, lymph nodal status, hormone estrogen responsiveness, and receptor status. The common treatments include lumpectomy, mastectomy, chemotherapy, hormone therapy (Tamoxifen) and targeted biological therapy.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

How Should Women Seek Support After a Breast Cancer Diagnosis?
When going through diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer it's important to have help—and to ask for help when you need it. Watch Radiation Oncolog...
What is Triple-Negative Breast Cancer?
What is Triple-Negative Breast Cancer?
As healthcare researchers have learned more about the biology and genetics of breast cancer, they have learned new ways of categorizing breast cancers...
How does drinking wine affect my risk for breast cancer?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
If you like a glass of wine with dinner, you may worry that your indulgence is increasing your r...
Is breast cancer serious?
Breast cancer is a serious disease. Although some types of breast cancer are curable - especially in...