What is recurrent breast cancer?

Recurrent breast cancer means that the cancer has come back (recurred) after it has been treated. It may come back in the breast, in the soft tissues of the chest (the chest wall) or in another part of the body. If breast cancer is found, more tests will be done to find out the size and extent of the cancer in the breast and to determine whether the cancer has spread from the breast to other parts of the body.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Recurrent breast cancer is associated with RETURN of the tumor or malignancy. Recurrent can be either local or distant. Local recurrence is associated with tumor from the original location. A distant recurrence may be found to other structures from metastasis to bone, brain, lymph nodes, brain, liver, etc. 

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?
How Can I Lower My Risk of Breast Cancer?
Is It Possible for Breast Cancer to Become a Chronic Disease?
What Is the Prevalence of Breast Cancer Today?