What is metastatic breast cancer?

Metastatic breast cancer is a cancer that starts in the breast and spreads to other parts of the body. It’s also called secondary breast cancer, stage IV (4) breast cancer, or advanced breast cancer. All these names mean the same thing.

Metastatic breast cancer cells, or MBCs for short, break away from a tumor in the breast and form new tumors in one or more parts of the body, like the bones, liver, lungs or brain. When this happens, it is called a metastasis.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

Childbirth and Breast Cancer Risk: It’s Complicated
Women have a slightly increased breast cancer risk in the years after they give birth, say researchers who analyzed information from hundreds of thous...
Can Eating Soy Raise My Risk of Breast Cancer?
Are We Turning Breast Cancer Into a Chronic Disease?
Are There Research Centers Outside of the U.S. That Are Working on Breast Cancer Research?