What is the goal of breast cancer surgery?

The goals of breast cancer surgery are simple—remove the cancer, stage the cancer and determine further therapy.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

The goal of the breast cancer surgery is to remove the entire tumor with a clear margin of tissue and prevent recurrence or spread of the tumor. Either lumpectomy or mastectomy may be performed depending on the tumor type, stage, grade, and spread with possible lymph nodes removed.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

Lessons From Sandra Lee's Breast Cancer Surgery
Food Network star Sandra Lee had surgery for an infection in August 2015, a complication from her double mastectomy in May. Lee announced her breast c...
What is invasive mammary carcinoma (IMC)?
Dr. Amanda J. Morehouse, MDDr. Amanda J. Morehouse, MD
Invasive mammary carcinoma (IMC) is breast cancer that can travel outside the breast. Carcinoma is t...
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
These gentle workouts can help breast cancer survivors combat some of the effects of treatment, including pain, fatigue, stress and weight gain.
How Can I Lower My Risk of Breast Cancer?