How big a risk factor is family history for breast cancer?

Family history plays a pretty low role. Maybe about 5% of the breast cancers that we see are caused by something inherited, like a genetic mutation. Most of the time, it's actually random or sporadic.

The information, opinions, and recommendations presented in this article have been compiled from a podcast and are for general information only.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911.This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

I Have a BRCA Gene Mutation. Should I Be Worried?
Cancer has many possible causes, but sometimes it can be linked to changes in your genes, called gene mutations. Since genetic codes are inherited, th...
How can I get reliable referrals for breast cancer specialists?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Many doctors have a standard list of referrals to local specialists and surgeons, although these doc...
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
These gentle workouts can help breast cancer survivors combat some of the effects of treatment, including pain, fatigue, stress and weight gain.
What Is the Prevalence of Breast Cancer Today?