Q

Breast Cancer

How can I know my risk of breast cancer recurrence?

• Among the more recent tools available is a test to assess tumors for the expression of genes that are associated with risk of developing breast cancer recurrence in women who have traditionally been seen as low risk. These are patients with hormone receptor positive, lymph node negative breast cancer. Studies have shown that based upon the expression patterns of these genes, some patients are more likely to experience breast cancer recurrences. Combined with evaluation of the other characteristics above, the profile of gene expression gives a more accurate assessment of a patient's risk of having recurrent cancer and can be used to guide decision making regarding chemotherapy and hormonal therapy.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How do estrogen levels affect breast cancer risk?