How can I know my risk of breast cancer recurrence?

Among the more recent tools available is a test to assess tumors for the expression of genes that are associated with risk of developing breast cancer recurrence in women who have traditionally been seen as low risk. These are patients with hormone receptor positive, lymph node negative breast cancer. Studies have shown that based upon the expression patterns of these genes, some patients are more likely to experience breast cancer recurrences. Combined with evaluation of the other characteristics above, the profile of gene expression gives a more accurate assessment of a patient's risk of having recurrent cancer and can be used to guide decision making regarding chemotherapy and hormonal therapy.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer

Several types of cancer can form in the breast, making it the second most common cancer that affects American women. Breast cancer affects over 200,000 women each year. The cancer develops when abnormal cells crowd out healthy one...

s, potentially causing a lump in the breast or a bloody discharge from the nipples.