How long does it take to recover from breast cancer surgery?

Recovery time from breast cancer surgery will primarily depend on what type of surgery you elect to undergo. Generally, breast conservation surgery is a quicker recovery when compared to mastectomy with reconstruction. Other factors will also play a role such as your activity level and overall health prior to surgery.

It varies depending on which operation you choose. Some women who choose breast-conserving treatment will be nearly back to normal in as quick as one to two days. If you choose a total mastectomy, and you have to have all of your lymph nodes removed, the recovery time can be longer. It can take anywhere from two to three, sometimes even four weeks.

Breast reconstruction with a tissue flap takes the longest to recover from: not only does the breast site have to heal, but also the donor site where the flap came from.

Dr. Elisa R. Port, MD
Surgical Oncologist

Recovery times can vary after breast cancer surgery. In this video I explain what can affect how long it takes to recover from surgery.

It depends on the type of breast cancer surgery you had. If you had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy alone, it could be one to two weeks for recovery. If you had a mastectomy with reconstruction, recovery could take four to eight weeks, depending on the type of reconstruction.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

I Have a BRCA Gene Mutation. Should I Be Worried?
Cancer has many possible causes, but sometimes it can be linked to changes in your genes, called gene mutations. Since genetic codes are inherited, th...
Does genetic testing for breast cancer carry any risks?
Scott WeissmanScott Weissman
Risks of genetic testing could include the risk of the actual blood draw or psychological risks by f...
4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy
4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy
Simple things like regular exercise can protect your breasts.
The 8-Year-Old Who Beat Breast Cancer
The 8-Year-Old Who Beat Breast Cancer