How do I know if my DCIS breast cancer will become invasive?

With all the genomic work that’s being done, we’re looking for ways to distinguish ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) cases that will be significant clinically versus those that will not, because many of them will not. It’s a very slow to develop tumor, but some forms of DCIS are more aggressive and will transform into invasive cancers. We can’t design a good clinical trial for DCIS. If you think about it, it wouldn't be ethical because you really can’t tell which patients are going to do okay and which ones aren’t. You can’t take 1,000 patients with a diagnosis of DCIS and watch 500, while the other 500 have a definitive removal of their DCIS.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

Determining HER2 Status in Metastatic Breast Cancer
Every case of metastatic breast cancer is different. When deciding on what treatment approach to use, a healthcare team will gather as much informatio...
Is my breast cancer more likely to recur if it is HER2-positive?
HER2-positive breast cancer, which accounts for about 20% of all breast cancers, tends to be agg...
4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy
4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy4 Habits to Keep Your Breasts Healthy
Simple things like regular exercise can protect your breasts.
Sharing Care: Leslie's Story
Sharing Care: Leslie's Story