How can I cope with finding out a loved one has metastatic breast cancer?

Finding out that your loved one has metastatic breast cancer, a cancer that can’t be cured, is hard not just for her, but for the family to cope with too. You may feel scared, worried, sad or angry. It’s okay to want life to go on and to do all of your usual activities. These feelings are normal and nothing to be ashamed of. It can be tough not really knowing what’s going to happen to your loved one, and you might wonder why this is happening to you and your family. After the initial shock, when her treatment gets underway, things will improve, and maybe life will go back to normal. This is great but can seem a bit weird also. It can help to talk about your feelings.

Remember, you have your loved one, family and friends who love you and they will listen and help talk through your worries. You may want to go meet her doctors and nurses and see where she has treatment. There’s even a team of experts like psychologists, counselors and social workers who can help you cope with your feelings, especially when sad or anxious.

Some women with metastatic breast cancer live many years, and this is improving all the time as new treatments become available. You’ve got to remember that you’re not alone! Other families are going through the same thing as you. Support groups can also help you and your family.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

5 Resources for Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer
Learning as much as possible about metastatic breast cancer and your diagnosis is important, especially when making decisions about treatment. However...
Dee’s Story: Living with Metastatic Breast Cancer
From the challenges of treatment to balancing life as a mother and advocate, one patient pulls back the curtain and shares her story.
How Should Women Seek Support After a Breast Cancer Diagnosis?
When going through diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer it's important to have help—and to ask for help when you need it. Watch Radiation Oncolog...
How Can I Lower My Risk of Breast Cancer?