How should I care for myself after breast cancer surgery?

Follow the guidelines in caring for yourself after breast surgery:

1. Bathing. You may use your affected arm to wash your body. Remember: Using your affected arm for daily activities such as bathing will assist in regaining motion of your arm.
  2. Dressing. Following surgery, a front-closure sports bra and button or snap blouse/top may make dressing easier. Put your affected arm in the armhole/sleeve first. Avoid wearing tight clothing or jewelry or sleeves with tight elastic armbands, as these may increase pressure and cause swelling of the arm.
  3. Grooming. Remember to sit/stand upright when brushing your teeth or styling your hair -- don't slouch! You may use your affected arm for these daily activities, but avoid excessive reaching, which may cause pain/pulling at the incision.
  4. Cooking and cleaning. You may use your affected arm for cooking and cleaning, but avoid vigorous, repetitive motions such as scrubbing, pushing, and, pulling. Plan rest breaks to avoid fatigue and pain.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

What RealAge Reveals About Breast Cancer Risk
The oldest woman ever to win an Olympic gold medal is Lida Peyton Pollock. She earned it as a member of an archery team in 1904 when she was 63 years ...
How Often Should I Do a Breast Self-Exam?
What Is Metastatic Breast Cancer?
What Is Metastatic Breast Cancer?
Can Carrying My Cell Phone in My Bra Put Me at Risk for Breast Cancer?