What do I need to know about caring for someone with breast cancer?

Breast cancer may be treatable, but patients face difficult choices. They may need to have part or all of one or both breasts removed, which can be emotionally painful. Chemotherapy may make them nauseated and exhausted, and it may make their hair fall out. Depending on the type of breast cancer, women may need to take cancer-fighting drugs for years, which can have other side effects.

Breast cancer patients should eat healthfully, get plenty of sleep, exercise if it feels good, and do other activities they like. Encourage patients to learn all they can about their breast cancer, if they find that helpful. Having someone to talk to - a relative, friend, counselor, or support group - can help.

If breast cancer spreads to other body parts, doctors may not be able to extend the patient's life. Patients may want to consider making a will and setting up advance directives in the event they cannot make decisions about end-of-life care.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

The Surprising Breast Cancer Risk Factor You May Not Know About
Getting regular mammograms, which are x-rays that check for any changes in breast tissue, is the key to early detection of breast cancer. But many wom...
What is inflammatory breast cancer (IBC)?
Inflammatory carcinoma is an aggressive type of breast cancer. It accounts for 1-3% of all breast ca...
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
These gentle workouts can help breast cancer survivors combat some of the effects of treatment, including pain, fatigue, stress and weight gain.
Can Carrying My Cell Phone in My Bra Put Me at Risk for Breast Cancer?