How does wearing a bra affect my risk for breast cancer?

While this myth is circulated on the Internet frequently, there is no established link between wearing a bra and breast cancer. This myth may have been started by a husband and wife team of anthropologists who wrote about it in their book, Dressed to Kill. No other studies have found a link, and the study they reported does not meet scientific standards. 
Scott Weissman
Clinical Genetics
I have never seen an association between bra use or time of use and breast cancer risk. To be honest, since breast cancer tends to develop internally in parts of the breast that are not too close to the skin, I am not sure that wearing a bra would impact a woman's risk.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

Exercise Each Day to Keep Breast Cancer At Bay
Ladies, we know you’ve heard lots about the benefits of regular exercise: less belly fat, healthier heart, boosted mood and many more.  But if you’re ...
What are the risk factors for breast cancer?
SwedishSwedish
Being a woman is the greatest risk factor for breast cancer. While men can and do develop breast can...
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors5 Workouts for Breast Cancer Survivors
These gentle workouts can help breast cancer survivors combat some of the effects of treatment, including pain, fatigue, stress and weight gain.
What Increases Breast Cancer Risk in Women?