Why are there no clinical trials for DCIS breast cancer treatments?

We can’t design a good clinical trial for DCIS. If you think about it, it wouldn't be ethical because you really can’t tell which patients are going to do okay and which ones aren’t. You can’t take 1,000 patients with a diagnosis of DCIS and watch 500, while the other 500 have a definitive removal of their DCIS. You’re simply not going to be able to recruit any patients to that trial.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Metastatic Breast Cancer: Understanding Targeted Therapy
Targeted therapies are a type of cancer treatment that work by blocking or inhibiting the function of specific molecules found in cancer cells, which ...
What is the treatment for invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC)?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
There are a number of possible treatments for invasive (infiltrating) ductal carcinoma (IDC). Treatm...
How long do I have to stay in the hospital after breast surgery?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Your length of post-operative hospital stay depends on the extent of the breast surgery and if recon...
What Can I Expect When I Am in Remission From Cancer?