When is hormone therapy used to treat breast cancer?

Hormone therapy is used to treat breast cancer in cancer that is fueled by estrogen and/or progesterone. For those people, medicines that block estrogen receptors are used to treat the cancer.

The number of deaths caused by breast cancer has declined significantly in recent years, due in large part to improved screenings and advancements in treatments. One such advancement is hormone therapy (different from hormone replacement therapy, used to treat menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes). Some breast cancers are sensitive to the female hormones estrogen and progesterone—they can fuel a cancer's growth. If it's determined that the cancer cells are hormone-sensitive, hormone therapy may be used. Hormone therapy is a type of adjuvant therapy—like radiation and chemotherapy—that may be used, in addition to surgery, to kill any cancer cells that may have spread.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Ask the Experts: Metastatic Breast Cancer Treatments
In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, MD, an emergency physician and Sharecare’s Senior Vice President of Clinical Strategy, discusses chemotherapy, r...
What are alternatives to surgery for a breast lump?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
An abnormal breast lump should always be questioned for malignancy. A mammogram or ultrasound may re...
What can I expect after a mastectomy in the short term?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
After the mastectomy, most patients stay 1 to 2 nights in the hospital and longer with certain t...
What Can I Expect When I Am in Remission From Cancer?