What is the role of a breast surgeon in my breast cancer treatment?

A breast surgeon is frequently the first contact that someone may have after finding a lump or in breast imaging.

A general surgeon or breast surgeon is a doctor who is skilled in breast surgery. The surgeon may perform a surgical breast biopsy, which is the removal of a sample of breast tissue to determine whether cancer is present. If it is cancerous, he or she may surgically remove the tumor.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Metastatic Breast Cancer: Understanding Targeted Therapy
Targeted therapies are a type of cancer treatment that work by blocking or inhibiting the function of specific molecules found in cancer cells, which ...
What can I expect after a mastectomy in the short term?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
After the mastectomy, most patients stay 1 to 2 nights in the hospital and longer with certain t...
What are the tests available to diagnose breast cancer?
Deanna J. Attai, MDDeanna J. Attai, MD
There are many imaging tests used to help detect breast cancer - mammography is the most commonly us...
Is Cancer Hereditary?
Is Cancer Hereditary?