What happens during follow-up care for breast cancer patients?

They're under surveillance. So women with breast cancer, after they've completed their treatment, they need to be followed for every 4 to 6 months for a while, and so they're going to see me and possibly some other specialists on a regular basis forever, really.

The information, opinions, and recommendations presented in this article have been compiled from a podcast and are for general information only.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911.This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

After treatment is completed, it is very important to go to all scheduled follow-up appointments. During these visits, your doctors will ask questions about any symptoms, do physical exams and order lab tests or imaging tests as needed to look for signs of cancer or treatment side effects. Almost any cancer treatment can have side effects. Some may last for a few weeks to several months, but others can be permanent. You should never hesitate to tell your doctor or other members of your cancer care team about any symptoms or side effects that concern you.

At first, your follow-up appointments will probably be scheduled for every 4 to 6 months. The longer you have been free of cancer, the less often the appointments are needed. After 5 years, they are typically done about once a year. If you had breast-conserving surgery, you will need to continue to have mammograms every year.

If you are taking tamoxifen, you should have yearly pelvic exams, because this drug can increase your risk of uterine cancer. Be sure to tell your doctor right away about any abnormal vaginal bleeding you are having. Although this is usually caused by a non-cancerous condition, it may also be the first sign of uterine cancer.

If you are taking an aromatase inhibitor, you may be at increased risk for thinning of the bones. Your doctor will want to monitor your bone health and may consider testing your bone density. Other tests, such as blood tumor marker studies, blood tests of liver function, bone scan, and chest x-rays are not usually needed unless symptoms or physical exam findings suggest it is likely the cancer has come back or recurred. If exams and tests do suggest recurrence, imaging tests such as an x-ray, CT scan, PET scan, MRI scan, bone scan and/or a biopsy may be done. Your doctor may also measure levels of blood tumor markers such as CA-15-3, CA 27-29 or CEA. The blood levels of these substances go up in some women if their cancer has spread to bones or other organs, but this is not always the case. 

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Targeted Therapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer
Targeted therapies are a type of cancer treatment that work by blocking or inhibiting the function of specific molecules found in cancer cells, which ...
When can I take a shower after breast cancer surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
In my practice, breast cancer reconstruction patients should wait at least 10 days prior to getting ...
Can chemotherapy affect my fertility?
John K. Jain, MDJohn K. Jain, MD
Chemotherapy affects fertility by destroying the ovarian egg pool. This may occur as a result of dam...
Are There Future Breast Cancer Therapies with Potential?