What are the treatment options for breast cancer?

Long ago, the treatment for breast cancer involved a radical mastectomy -- the surgical removal of your breast, nipple, breast tissue, and underlying lymphatics, which can potentially carry cancer cells to other parts of your body. Many women died from the procedure itself.

Now, less invasive procedures have been developed. Many women receive a lumpectomy -- a procedure that involves surgically removing the tumor, saving most of the breast itself. This would be followed by a course of chemo or radiation to make sure remaining cancer cells are gone. A newer, modified mastectomy is also in use, which spares the nipple of the breast and makes reconstruction easier.

Currently, new technologies are developing better and less invasive ways to treat and cure this deadly cancer. Currently, there are nearly 700 clinical trials in the nation that are investigating new methods of curing breast cancer. Though many of them fail, some are succeeding.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Elisa R. Port, MD
Surgical Oncology
Surgery is the first option for women diagnosed with breast cancer. But a diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean a mastectomy. In this video, Elisa Port, MD, a surgeon at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, explains several surgical scenarios.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

MBC: Should You Apply to a Clinical Trial?
People diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer (MBC) may consider volunteering for a clinical trial. Clinical trials are research studies that investi...
How can exercise help with breast cancer treatment?
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)
Breast cancer and its treatment can affect your physical functioning and energy. For instance, many ...
Can I choose the type of surgery I want for my breast cancer?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
You and your surgeon will choose the best breast cancer surgery together. Most importantly is to rem...
How Is Breast Cancer Diagnosed?
How Is Breast Cancer Diagnosed?