How do I select a breast surgeon to treat my breast cancer?

I would recommend selecting a surgeon who has focused his or her practice on breast care, is preferably fellowship trained, and works in a breast center. Pick a surgeon that you feel comfortable with and someone who answers your questions adequately.
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MD
Transplant Surgery

Selecting a breast surgeon should be based on several criteria: referrals from trusted sources (other doctors, friends, and breast cancer survivors), board certification, and malpractice history. It is always best to get a second opinion when searching for a breast surgeon.

Questions to ask a potential surgeon include:

• Practice history (length of career, number of breast surgeries a year)
  • What are the breast cancer guidelines the physician follows?
  • What other types of patients do you treat?
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

It is important to find a specialist who treats breast cancer weekly.  Breast cancer surgeons have trained in general surgery and may also have training in oncological surgery.  They understand the anatomy of the breast and will be able to remove the correct amount of tissue as well as lymph node dissection as necessary.  Look at their curriculum vitae, medical school training, residency, fellowship, years of experience, and specific specialization.  Find out what hospital he or she is attending of and how many lumpectomies or mastectomies that that specific doctor performs annually.  Look at many before and after photographs and also find out which plastic and reconstructive surgeon will work with that surgeon in reconstructing your breast.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Targeted Therapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer
Targeted therapies are a type of cancer treatment that work by blocking or inhibiting the function of specific molecules found in cancer cells, which ...
What should I ask prior to breast cancer surgery about lymph node removal?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Another important discussion is to understand if the surgeon plans to remove any of your lymph nodes...
What is the treatment for invasive lobular carcinoma (ILC)?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
There are a number of possible treatments for invasive (infiltrating) lobular carcinoma (ILC). Treat...
What Can I Expect When I Am in Remission From Cancer?