How do I find out about my rights as a breast cancer patient?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

It is useful to know your rights as a patient. Every hospital should have a statement of patient rights. You can ask for a copy during hospital admission or before. The statement of patient’s rights should cover informed consent, privacy during physical examinations, and the right to refuse participation in hospital research experiments.

When examining the hospital’s patient’s bill of rights, look for patient-centered phrases, not just statements designed to protect the hospital or doctors from medical malpractice lawsuits. Some hospitals have a patient representative or ombudsman department that you can call about the cold mashed potatoes or rude staff.

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Metastatic Breast Cancer: Understanding Targeted Therapy
Targeted therapies are a type of cancer treatment that work by blocking or inhibiting the function of specific molecules found in cancer cells, which ...
What is the sexual impact of treatments for breast cancer?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
The most common sexual side effects stem from damage to a woman's feelings of attractiveness. In our...
What should I ask about non-surgical treatments for my breast cancer?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
If you don’t ask about your other alternatives up front, you’ll never know if you might have saved y...
What Can I Expect When I Am in Remission From Cancer?