Can I change from aromatase inhibitors to tamoxifen if I have side effects?

Sara Hurvitz, MD
Hematology & Oncology
Aromatase inhibitors are a little bit better in treating breast cancer than tamoxifen, so the standard of care is to start with them. They’re a little better at preventing breast cancer recurrence; to date, there’s no significant difference in overall survival. The side effects are different, but some women tolerate tamoxifen better than aromatase inhibitors. Tamoxifen an appropriate option for a woman who has tried the aromatase inhibitors and has experienced too many side effects such as joint pain and stiffness and worsening of osteoporosis.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Ask the Experts: Metastatic Breast Cancer Treatments
In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, MD, an emergency physician and Sharecare’s Senior Vice President of Clinical Strategy, discusses chemotherapy, r...
How can I do self massage for right breast lymphedma?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
1. Clear nodes at neck This can be done most effectively one side at a time, using the palm of yo...
How is intraductal endoscopy used?
Sheldon Feldman, MDSheldon Feldman, MD
The intraductal endoscopic technique had 95% therapeutic efficacy in women with pathologic nipple di...
What Is the State of the Art Around Breast Cancer Today?