What are the symptoms of invasive breast cancer?

Screening mammograms may help detect breast cancer before it causes any symptoms. However, screening mammograms may miss breast cancer that is already present. Invasive breast cancer symptoms may include:
  •  A lump or mass in the breast.
  •  Swelling of all or part of the breast, even if no lump is felt.
  •  Skin irritation or dimpling.
  •  Breast or nipple pain.
  •  Nipple retraction (turning inward).
  •  The nipple or breast skin appears red, scaly or thickened.
  •  Nipple discharge.
  •  A lump or swelling in the underarm lymph nodes.
Knowing the signs and symptoms of breast cancer is essential to early diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Symptoms

Symptoms of Breast Cancer You Shouldn’t Ignore
Almost 270,000 new cases of breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in 2018. Aside from skin cancer, it is the most common form of cancer in the Un...
What are the symptoms of male breast cancer?
Brian P. McKinley, MDBrian P. McKinley, MD
The symptoms of male breast cancer are the same as the symptoms for breast cancer that develops in w...
What does it mean if I suddenly notice redness on my breasts?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
Redness on the breast is most often caused by a breast infection, but if it does not improve after t...
Is Hormone Therapy Effective for Breast Cancer?