Breast Cancer Symptoms

What does it mean if I suddenly notice redness on my breasts?

• Redness on the breast is most often caused by a breast infection, but if it does not improve after treatment with antibiotics, it may be a rare sign of breast cancer. Any change in appearance of the skin of the breast should be evaluated by your physician. A breast infection may be associated with breastfeeding and a blocked duct, but may also occur in women who are not breastfeeding, as well.

If the redness is associated with a hot feeling to the touch, or pain and tenderness, this is another indication of infection. After examining your breast, your doctor will often evaluate it further with ultrasound or mammogram, and then determine if antibiotics should be taken. If the redness is caused by a breast abscess, this may be treated by draining the abscess with a needle, then antibiotics.

Other causes of breast redness include rash, eczema with development of a skin infection, skin allergy, broken blood vessels or an infected skin lump such as sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is most often a discrete lump in the skin. These skin cysts are common in the skin of the breast, and can become infected.

Less commonly, redness in the breast may be a sign of breast cancer. If the redness is not improving after treatment with antibiotics, your doctor may recommend a small skin biopsy to be sure it is not red due to cancer.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ADr. Brian P. McKinley, MD, Surgery, answered on behalf of Greenville Health System

Redness on the breasts can be cause by many things. Infections, skin problems, and tumors of the breast can cause redness. Most color changes that can be seen on the surface of the breast will turn out to be caused by benign conditions, like infections or skin diseases. It is critically important, though, that you report any new breast symptom to your doctor so a thorough evaluation of the problem can be performed. And don't delay.

• ADr. Stephen K. Montoya, MD, OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered on behalf of Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center
    What Does It Mean if There's Redness on My Breasts?
    Redness on the breast can be nothing but it also can be caused by a tumor, says Stephen Montoya, MD, an OB/GYN at Sunrise Hospital. In this video he says that infection can also cause redness.
Why does inflammatory breast cancer cause red and swollen breasts?