Could a lump in my preteen's breast be breast cancer?

Parents of preteens (children nine to thirteen years old) frequently discover a peanut- or grape-sized lump under one of their children’s nipples. It happens most often in girls, but boys experience it too. It feels tender to the child, maybe even painful. Naturally, a worried mom—especially one who’s been drilled to do breast self-exams—freaks out and phones her pediatrician. Is it a tumor?! Is it breast cancer?! No. It’s likely a breast bud and a natural occurrence in puberty. However, if the lump is extremely painful, growing rapidly, red, secreting a discharge, or accompanied by a fever—or if you’re just really freaked out—then you should consult your child’s doctor.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Symptoms

Symptoms of Breast Cancer You Shouldn’t Ignore
Almost 270,000 new cases of breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in 2018. Aside from skin cancer, it is the most common form of cancer in the Un...
What are the two common breast cancer screening tests?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common screening tools for breast cancer after self breast exam (SBE) are mammograms and MR...
How can I tell a cancerous lump from a benign lump in my breast?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
Most breast cancer lumps feel firm and irregular in shape; they may feel hard like a rock. If the lu...
Does Breast Cancer Screening Have Value?